Amazon Associates

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Bangladesh in Review, or "Why I'll Never Do Business Here"

I was skeptical about coming to Bangladesh at all. I mean... it's Bangladesh. What is there even to see there? Do you even know anyone that's been to Bangladesh? Some views I have about Bangladesh have certainly changed since coming here. Eight days was not enough time, for sure. There was a lot more to do here than I expected, but I think I probably got to see most of what I should have seen in the limited amount of time I was here. I regret not being able to spend more time in real Bangladesh. I'm so grateful to MRA and everything he did to make for an awesome trip. Unfortunately, there wasn't a single time where I was out of the car walking around for more than a few minutes at a time (excluding tourist attractions). I saw Bangladesh but there was a part of Bangladesh I didn't get to experience.

Being in a Muslim country was fascinating. I found myself wondering what it must be like being someone who is a Hindu or Christian here. I imagine the experience is pretty similar to being a Muslim in America. A lot of the country just isn't built with you in mind. In Bangladesh there are places to pray everywhere. The top floor of MRA's office is a prayer hall. When it's time for prayers, the call to prayer is blasted over the company PA system. Even at a gas station we went to, there was an outdoor prayer area. All bathrooms have stations for washing your feet because that's a part of the cleaning ritual you do before you pray. Billboards wish you a Happy Eid (a Muslim holiday) and advertise for Eid specials. People get two weeks of work off for Eid.


To do business here, one has to have a flexible relationship with ethics and morality. I was appalled at the numerous violations of safety and basic working conditions I found throughout the country. Bribery and corruption are facts of life here and you can't survive in business without greasing the wheels. I could never do business in this environment. Some people here told me that when you see wrongdoings happen, you just have to look away. It was incredibly disappointing to hear that coming from people who I used to think had stronger character. That point of view is what perpetuates this system of corruption and has ultimately crippled this country's progress.

This was an enlightening experience and I wouldn't be opposed to coming back but I certainly would never want to live here. Basic thing like being able to get from Point A to Point B in a relatively reasonable time, reliable hot water, internet access, and relatively clean streets apparently are all things I take for granted every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment