Amazon Associates

Friday, September 6, 2013

The Most Spiritual Day of My Life

Bahishti Maqbara at dawn, Qadian
Muslims pray... a lot. Among other things, this includes five daily prayers that are performed at various times throughout the day. Today was the first time, I think in my entire life, that I said all five daily prayers, at their proper times, and inside of a mosque. My day started around 4:45am for the morning prayer which happens before sunrise. I was surprised at how many people were at the mosque for prayers, though this is Qadian so I guess I really shouldn't be. After prayers, I met up with AC and his family who took me to Bahishti Maqbara, which translates to "Heavenly Graveyard," and is a cemetery where Mirza Ghulam Ahmad and many other important people in Ahmadiyyat are buried. I was surprised at how beautiful it was; definitely not your run-of-the-mill cemetery. We said some prayers there, then came back to the guest house for breakfast. AC and his family left after breakfast so I'm now officially on my own here again. I'm sad to see them go, but I'm so glad they were here. I feel a lot less on my own now, even though they aren't here anymore.

Main bazaar area, Qadian
I decided to go for a run through Qadian. I haven't gone on a run for a while because my ankle started hurting on my last run and I wanted to rest it up for a while before starting my trip, since... I kind of need it to be traversing through Asia. But it's been feeling great so I went for it. (Also, and this is an excuse more than anything, I don't have a lot of clothes, so logistically it's a little challenging from an "I have to wash stuff but it needs time to dry and I also have to wear stuff" perspective.) Going for a run is apparently not a thing people do in India. I got a LOT of curious stares from people, and not just because I blatantly looked like a tourist.

For as important a city as Qadian is, it's pretty amazing to see on my run how... ordinary it is. Like many other small towns here, it's relatively poor. There's a really happenin' bazaar with lots of shops and people selling fruits, street food, clothing, and other some other things. A lot of roads aren't paved or are in severe disrepair. I stopped to get some minutes added to my Indian phone and was chatting with the Hindu guy behind the counter. He was telling me that the city is ~25% Muslim, and the rest are Hindu, Sikh, a few Christians, and other Muslims (I've heard from multiple other people that there aren't any other Muslims left in Qadian, so I'm not sure about this one). In any case, he said that everyone gets along really well and that Qadian is an incredibly safe city, even to walk around at night (I've heard this from other people as well).

The guy in my dad's photos...
and now in mine!
My father had been to Qadian about 10 years ago and back them he took photos with someone who worked here. He miraculously saved those photos all these years and when he found out I was coming to Qadian, he printed out some copies of those photos and asked me to give them to the guy when I came. I was incredible skeptical for a number of reasons, not the least of which was that there would be absolutely no way that 10 years later I was going to know who to give these photos to. Nonetheless I humored him and took the photos with me. I had to take extra special care so make sure they didn't get wrinkled and I didn't have a hard folder in which to put them. I was shocked that when I got to Qadian the photos actually survived in pretty good shape, especially considering all of the travel they had to go through. Today I asked around and it turns out the guy in these photos still works here! He does security at the main entrance to the mosque now. I tracked him down, introduced myself, told him the story of these photos and gave them to him. And wouldn't you know, he was SO happy to receive these photos! He couldn't believe my dad had kept them all these years and that he thought to send them with me to Qadian! Seeing how excited he was to receive these photos made all of the effort to get them to Qadian in one piece totally worth it.

I came back for Jummah (Friday prayers) at 1pm. I met someone earlier in the day who was going to show me around a little more, but we got our wires crossed about timing so we ended up not meeting up after all. But when I came back a few hours later for the late afternoon prayer, I met a teacher from Jammiah who did a little impromptu tour for me right there. He was an awesome guy and he speaks great English (like everyone else from Jammiah), which was a huge plus for me. I stayed in the mosque for pretty much the rest of the day offering some extra prayers. Concurrently, there was a local youth convention called an Ijtema that was happening this weekend. Part of that are various religious competitions, including one for recitation of religious poems (they aren't writing them, just reciting one from a handful of ones that have already been written). After the last of the five daily prayers, I went to go listen the poem competition. At this point it was around 9pm and I was exhausted, so I went back to my room in the guest house. Just after I closed the door, someone came knocking and it was NK, the man in charge of external affairs for our sect in Qadian. He was the one I was in contact with to arrange the car to get me to Qadian and he arranged my stay here. We've communicated over phone and text, so it was wonderful to meet him in person. He had been traveling for several days, and the first thing he did when he got back was to come see me. Don't I feel special? This guy is kind of a big deal, so it was awesome that he was doing this. It turns out that since DRH is such a big deal here, and that I'm from his mosque, that they've been treating me even more extra special than how special they already treat anyone who visits Qadian. We talked for about 20 minutes and he even helped me plan out the next few days of my trip and made arrangements for someone to look into flight options for me for the next leg of my trip.

I finished off the day by reading a few chapters of the Holy Quran, the Muslim holy book. The Quran is supposed to be read aloud and in its original language of Arabic, which is what I do when I read it. I don't actually understand the words, which I wish I could, but it's good to at least be able to read it aloud.

Spending pretty much the entire day in supplication was a pretty unique experience. The longer I spent in prayer, the more meaningful this whole experience became and the more I began to realize how powerful being in this place is and how special it is to be here. I found myself praying for things I had never even thought to pray for before. I found myself want to stay and pray for even longer, which is a feeling I've really only ever had when there have been tragic events or difficult decisions to make. The longer I'm here, the more I feel the significance of this mosque and of Qadian. The history of this place is my history too. The events that transpired in this town set a course that ultimately shaped my upbringing and who I am today. Qadian itself is no longer just a concept to me anymore. I am here now. It is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment