Amazon Associates

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Singapore Airport is Awesome



My layover between Siem Reap, Cambodia and Phuket, Thailand took me back to the magical place that is the Changi International Airport in Singapore. As you may recall, my last adventure here was after an excruciatingly painful flight, so I didn't really stop to smell the proverbial roses while I was here. This time around, however, I had plenty of time to explore all of the wonders that Changi had to offer.

Jargony marketing speak: yes. Still delicious: YES. And in
case you were wondering, yes, this is me showing
self-restraint when it comes to my ketchup intake.
It turns out Maslow really did know a thing or two about priorities, so my first stop was the food court. In my quest to eat at a McDonald's in every country I visit (even for just a layover), I was pleased to find one in the food court. Whenever possible, I like to try out the local flavors McDonald's has to offer, so naturally I ordered the Samurai burger with seaweed fries. (Side note, "Samurai": way harder to spell than you think.) Which ended up just a normal burger but with teriyaki sauce, and normal fries but instead of salt, they give you seaweed flakes. Which turns out to be really awesome, actually.

With that taken care of, I decided to take a stroll around the airport. This place is ridiculous. It should be a tourist destination in and of itself. As I continued to walk around, I came upon the Sunflower Garden, an outdoor garden that is everything it promises to be:
If only there was sun
Back inside the airport, I found... the coy pond?!

Note: Fish in pond may be larger than they appear.
Next on the agenda... the indoor butterfly park!

Apparently butterflies like pineapple. Unfortunately, evolution didn't
bestow them with any semblance of a natural ability to actually eat
pineapple on their own. How they survived all these millennia is a mystery
that still baffles entomologists to this day.
...with a built-in waterfall?!

I couldn't even make this stuff up if I wanted to.
Ok, I probably could, I'm a pretty good storyteller.
But you get the point.
And last but not least, the world's largest golf ball / control tower:
I'm pretty sure Zeus is still looking for his ball somewhere
near the Arabian Sea. Poor fool doesn't even know his
own strength.
Needless to say, this time around, Changi was a far better experience. No wonder it's won a heap of awards. Thanks, Singapore! Maybe I'll come back and see what else you have to offer someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment